Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tasty Tuesday!

I am all about getting the most out of the food I buy.  There are people starving in the world and I try not to waste if it is at all possible.  Whenever I buy a whole chicken or I make a turkey I love to make a home made soup!

This may sound intimidating, but it is rather easy to do.  I guarantee once you do it the first time, you will not be scared to make home made soup again!

                       Turkey Soup

The first step is to make the broth!

-Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.

-Add some onions, carrots and celery. (feel free to add whatever else you feel for vegetables
in your soup) Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
-Add the turkey carcass and cover with cold water to 1 inch above the turkey and then turn the heat to high and you will see some foam form on the top. Be sure to scoop all of that foam off!

-Add some parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, at least 2 hours, and up to 4 hours (base it on how much time you have). Add water as needed to keep the turkey bones covered.

-Pour the soup base through a colander, of course keep the liquid and let it sit for up to 10 min waiting til you can see the fat.  Like the foam you will scoop this out! (if there is a lot of turkey left on the bones I'll add it back into my soup)

-Now all you have to do it allow the broth to cool and save it til your ready to finish your soup!!
 
-Add whatever you like to it now.  Add some cut up Turkey meat, the rest of the vegetables and if your wanting you can also add some noodles.  I always add the noodles at the very last moment so that they are not overcooked.
-This last step lasts about 1 hr as I usually simmer it for that long.  Lastly Salt and Pepper to taste!

P.S and just as a secret just between us if short on fresh vegetables I have used the bagged in a pinch!


Enjoy!!


No comments: