Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tasty Tuesday!

So this recipe may not be a love for all, but it was a favorite of my Grandmothers and of mine.  I find for quiche either a dish that you love or you don't!  I think for me it brings back memories of when I was young so of course it always is good for me.   I find though a lot of the times when I eat quiche out, it really does not taste that good. So in the end I decided to start making it myself though I was worried on how to do this.

When I moved out of my parents house I brought a large trunk to my new home and inside of this trunk was a lot of special things that my grandmother had put together for when we had our own home.  Sadly she was no longer living, she actually passed away  8 months before I got married.  It was quite an emotional moment as I open this trunk and find a home made cookbook that she had made for me.  Inside was a note on a piece of papers "bet you thought you were not going to get one".

My grandma had made my sister a cookbook just like the one I had opened in this trunk.  I had assumed as she was no longer with me I would not be receiving a cookbook.  I was very wrong.  It is no fancy cookbook.  Its a home made one where she written in the recipes or cut an pasted.  Though to me there is no cookbook out there that is worth what this one is to me.

In the front of the cookbook it says:

"To Jayda  Love Grandma
   I thought you might like to have some of grandma's recipes when you get married some day.  Keep it always and think of me when you are cooking"

Many of the recipes she has dates when we made it for the first time.  She also has little stories about who she got the recipe from or what was her favorite.

This Quiche was a favorite of hers and now I am sharing it with you!



Ham N' Swiss Quiche

1 1/2 cups finely-chopped cooked ham
1 unbaked pie shell
2 cups shredded Canadian Swiss Cheese
3 Eggs beaten
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
 
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup table cream
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese

Place ham in bottom of unbaked pie shell; pack down lightly.  Top with Swiss cheese. Beat Together eggs, onion, mustard and salt.  Gradually stir in cream.  Pour over ham and cheese layers in pie shell. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over surface.  Bake at 375*F for 30-35min or until set.  Makes 1 Fabulous quiche!!

No comments: