Thursday, February 2, 2012

Foodie February: Getting you started in the right direction!

I love cooking and trying new things! I thought it would be fun to cook with the alphabet. As there are 26 letters in the alphabet and 29 days in February this is almost a perfect fit! Every day I will be sharing recipes that I have made this month for my family and what we thought of them. Keep in mind some of these recipes will be favourites I have made before and some will be brand new adventures in food for us! Today I will be sharing a recipe with the letter A. The food option may be obvious as it is the most common food related with the letter A.   Apples!!!

As the saying goes "An Apple A Day Keeps The DR away" So we always have apples in our household. Though not all of them get eaten as quickly as they should. This is one of the main reason I started making applesauce. When my children were babies I tried to make all their food rather then buying jarred food if possible and I was surprised how easy it was. Also I could not believe how much applesauce sold for in comparison to how cheap the fruit is. My children would eat through it quickly so I found it easier to make sure I had fruit on hand so I could please both the child and the adults. Applesauce I find delicious on its own or even over pork chops! Yum!!

If you have never made it before it is very simple. Why not try and make your own today and as you get comfortable with it, you can adjust your recipes. I add other fruit into it too and it is a great way to get your daily fruit intake! I hope you enjoy!


Homemade Applesauce 

4 apples - peeled, cored and chopped 
3/4 cup water 
1/4 cup white sugar (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 

In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then puree it all together with a fork or in a food processor.  If your feeling adventurous you can even make this in a slow cooker! If you prefer to cook without adding the white sugar you can either make it without or if you want to sweeten it up a bit, honey can be added in and sweeten it up for you in a natural way. I usually sweeten to taste if adding the honey, but our family loves it unsweetened as well.

No comments: