Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Book Review: The Host

I recently decided that it was important for me to take some time for myself among all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, reading is one way I am taking that time.  I just finished reading the book "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer.  Yes I read "The Twilight Saga" and I had heard good things about this book, but I had never read anything before by choice that could be classified as Science Fiction.


The Host tells a story about our world as we no longer know it being taken over from an enemy we did not even know we had.  Talk about tricky :-)  These enemy "souls" are implanted into humans and take over their minds, but continue the rest of the humans daily life unchanged.  So if you didn't know better you may not even realize your loved one was not fully there until it was your turn.

There are only a few humans that are not fully taken over by these enemies and Melanie is one of them.  The enemy soul, Wanderer, that was inserted into Melanie is thrown in a loop when her human host Melanie does not fully succumb. The soul and mind of the human are able to hold internal conversations and sometimes Melanie is able to take over control.

Wanderers job is to crack into Melanie's mind and find out all that she is hiding and where the remaining humans are.  In the process of doing this the soul, Wanderer, ends up falling in love with Jared who is Melanie's human love.  The two of them (like split personalities within ones mind) begin working together and start building a bond and head out on a dangerous journey to find the man that they are both in love with.

I honestly loved this book!  I have to say I am still not sure if I felt the beginning was slow or if there was so much going on that I was just lost.  Though I did stick with the book and after the first few chapters I was able to understand better what was going on and comprehend the internal struggle the human and the soul were having.

I ended up falling in love with this soul called Wanderer and I even cried a few times in the book.  Okay, I am a bit of a sap in books, but this author manages to get you to see humanity in a different way and look at ourselves from the outside in.

I would say this book is a must read and definitely a more mature read then her previous novels, but equally lovable!  I can not wait until the sequels, yes I read somewhere there will be a few novels in the series.  I wonder movie blockbuster again?

Thanks for everyone stopping by from the Thursday blog hop :-)

Bassgiraffe's Thoughts Thursday Blog Hop

12 comments:

Design It Chic said...

I am now following you thanks to Blog Hop Thursday!It would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog! Plus today we have a HUGE GIVEAWAY from Julie The Fish Designs *hand stamped jewelry*! Maybe you want to join in;)
Also if you need any help tweaking your blog or easy HTML tips, you know where to come! Happy Thursday!

Cindy said...

New follower through Blog Hop Thursday.

Busy Mom's Tips

Larri said...

Visiting and following from bassgiraffe's Blog Hop. While not my favorite genre, you gave a thought-provoking review that intrigued my interest in maybe taking a look at this book. Thanks for sharing. Happy Thursday! :o)

What I'm Reading Today
www.readingwithlarri.blogspot.com

so kikay said...

I’m a follower =)

Happy Thursday!

Http://sokikay.blogspot.com

Sandra said...

Oh thank goodness another Stephanie Meyer novel! I feel like she's ruined me for any other author after Twilight. Is there as a good a love story as in Twilight?

Anonymous said...

I think I will have to go get that book! Sounds fantastic! Stopping by from bassgiraffe's Thoughts! Have a great day!

Amanda said...

Well i know what book im going to go buy next, sounds really good and i love Stephanie Meyer!
Im your new follower from blog hop thursday!

http://mommys-secret-hideaway.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm following from Blog Hop Thursday. Would love for you to visit www.magicalmouseschoolhouse.com, where Disney IS school!

Maritez Gonzales said...

New follower from Blog Hop Thursday

Sounds like a very interesting book!

Lies We Tell Ourselves said...

I'm going to have to find that at the library. New blogger and follower, stopping by from Blog Hop Thursday.

liesthatbreakus.blogspot.com

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I’m Barb….I am from TTA. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. I also would love for you to be a new Fan of my Facebook page too & click “LIKE” in the upper right hand corner of my blog & you’ve done it..Thanks so much! I am just starting at Facebook. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

Tammy Dalley said...

I love stephanie meyer,cant wait to read this book