Friday, July 11, 2014

Looking For Summertime Reading Suggestions For Kids?


With summer upon us it is a great time to introduce your children to new books.  Today's guest reviewer, author Glynis Astie shares with us the top 10 list for her and her boys!  Be sure to check out her books French Twist and French Toast  that were just reviewed this week!  



Reading is very popular activity in my house. My two boys and I spend many hours reading about the adventures of our favorite characters, while my husband has his nose stuck in software engineering books. To each his own, right?
We put together a list of our top 10 books, but it was difficult. There are so many to choose from!
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
We love reading all of Eric Carle’s books, but my younger son has a fascination with caterpillars. He loves to flip through the pages, hearing the story and counting his way through the caterpillar’s big feast. With such beautiful images and a great ending, what’s not to enjoy?
But Not the Hippopotamus by Sandra Boynton
Sandra Boynton’s books are a big hit with my boys as well. (My nine year old still loves them!) Her illustrations are adorable, the rhymes are addictive and the stories always make us smile. We follow the hippo through feeling like an outsider through a series of activities and rejoice when she finally joins her group of animal friends in the end. Unfortunately, the poor armadillo takes her place in isolation. I am still waiting for the sequel!
Curious George by H.A. Rey & Margaret Rey
How can you not fall in love with such an adorable monkey? George may be naughty, but he sure is a lot of fun! The illustrations are beautiful and you have a great time joining George on all of his adventures with the man with the yellow hat.
Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell
This is a delightful book about a young child seeking a pet from his friends at the zoo. Each page has a possible pet to discover behind a flap and a reason for why it’s not the right choice, until the perfect one is found in the end. We love the durable pages of the board book since my younger son doesn’t know his own strength quite yet!
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr. & John Archambault
What a fun way to learn the alphabet! The book is filled with animated letters, silly rhymes and a cute story. My younger son and I always sing the alphabet song once we reach the last page. It makes him smile every time!
The Biggest Sandwich Ever by Jeffrey Stoodt
This book has long been a favorite for my older son. He is still amazed by the size of the sandwich and likes to imagine what it would be like to make one that large in real life. But his favorite part is when the giant comes and eats the sandwich in the end, leaving the town folk bereft of their meal.
The Dragonbreath Series by Ursula Vernon
These stories follow a dragon named Danny as he tries to navigate a number of problems. He is joined by his motley group of friends who bring him both assistance and humor along the way. This is hands down my older son’s favorite series of books. He has read all nine available books in record time and is counting the days until the tenth book comes out in January of 2015!
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan and was thrilled to share the first book with my older son. I am sorry to say that he was not very interested in it. I had to include it in the list though, since I am a kid at heart. I would most definitely jump at the chance to have a wand and Hogwarts education!
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians,Book One) by Rick Riordan
My older son and I share a love of Greek Mythology and we both thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Riordan’s exciting tale of Percy Jackson. My son likes to imagine that he wakes up one day to discover that he is a demigod. I’m just not sure which one of his parents he thinks could be a Greek god/goddess…
Star Wars: A Galactic Pop-Up Adventure by Matthew Reinhart
Star Wars is almost a religion in my house. I am not joking when I tell you that the phrase, “May the force be with you” is uttered on a daily basis. We have an entire library of Star Wars books, but our favorite is Matthew Reinhart’s pop-up masterpiece. As with all of Mr. Reinhart’s creations, the book is a work of art. Each page is filled with breathtaking images and you will find an endless series of flaps detailing different aspects of the Star Wars universe. But the best part is the last page where you find both Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader with light sabers that actually light up!
I hope that you enjoyed our list! I had a wonderful time putting it together. I would love to hear about the books in your top 10!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

My 10 year old just finished the Percy Jackson series and has started on the Last Olympian series. He's not much into fiction, but these have captivated him. My (almost) 7 year old is really into the Magic Tree House books. Her reading has really come a long way this year and she loves all the different adventures. I'd like to read the Little House series with her soon as well.

It's funny--I've loved to read my whole life, but neither child really shared the interest. Now that they see me writing and see my books, they want to read. I think that's the best thing to come out of my writing!